The Hush of Expansion
- Sol is at the edge of a dense star cluster – on this map that is represented by it being at the top-left hand corner at hex 01.01. The map does not go further in that direction.
- The starting map (hexes 0.0 to 10.10) is the known extent of the human diaspora at this point in time – settlers who have gone further afield have not been heard of in some generations and their fate is unknown. The stars on the map are the known stars of the this region of space – as are the asteroid fields and nebulas. The main planet of each system is also detailed.
- Additional stars (asteroid fields, nebulas, etc.) should be located in the unexplored region – but existing stars may have other worlds detailed as appropriate by the players with Narrative Authority over those aspects of the game.
- Private ownership of spacecraft does exist – but it’s still the purview of the more wealthy, much like super-yachts are today when compared to boats and ships.
- Commercial travel is common enough that you can all travel the map – but poorer characters will take longer to get places, and it will be more uncomfortable to do so.
- There is no overarching galactic authority – worlds are still too isolated and mostly have their own problems to take care of first. Solar systems tend to be more structured in their governance – but that depends on the technology levels of the people living there.
- There is no life in the galaxy save that which has come from Earth. Anything found on ‘new’ planets is the result of earlier colonies and exploration ships. The wide range of consequences of this knowledge on the human psyche is an important part of the setting.
- Physic powers, while in existence, are so remarkably rare that no player character has them – nor does any player have direct authority over any psychic characters. Obviously authority over deciding the outcomes of battles, etc. can be used to kill them.
- Rumours about their existence, location, and actions are fine. Indeed, this is part of the paranoia of the setting at this period of history.